The Ole Rømer Observatory in the suburb of Højbjerg, south of Aarhus, was erected in 1911, to be used by the German private astronomer Friedrich Krüger. After 1916, the observatory was run in collaboration between the city of Aarhus and the Danish State. From 1956 to 1974, the Institute of Astronomy at the University of Aarhus was located here, and the university is still in charge of scientific astronomical work at the observatory.
Today the observatory is mainly used for public presentations of astronomy. From September to April it is open approximately 15 nights each month. It is free to participate in October, but reservation has to be made in advance at the Steno Museum.
There is room for max. 30 people and presentations take place regardless of weather. A presentation includes of a tour of the observatory, an introduction to the telescopes, a short astronomy lecture with room for questions and, of course, a look at the evening sky if the weather is clear. For reservation please contact the Steno Museum.